Gold Coast City is located in the southeast corner of Queensland, south of the capital Brisbane. The Gold Coast City stretches from Beenleigh and Russell Island in the north to the border with New South Wales 56 km south, which is where you will find the Gold Coast Airport. The city extends inland from the coast to the foothills of the Great Dividing Range. The southernmost town of Gold Coast City is Coolangatta. Coolangatta is a twin city with Tweed Heads located directly across the New South Wales border.
The suburbs of Southport and Surfers Paradise form the Gold Coast’s business centre. Nicknamed the Glitter Strip, today it is a major tourist destination. The warm sunny subtropical climate has become widely known for its surfing beaches and high-rise skyline. Theme parks such as Movie World, Dream World, Wet ‘n’ Wild and Seaworld draw people in from all over Australia and the world. As of 2106, the Gold Coast City had a population of 638,000. We have an insiders guide to the Gold Coast for you
Gold Coast Airport Arrivals / Departures Terminals
Gold Coast airport is bright, shining and easily navigated. The airport is the hub for all places on the Gold Coast, and northern New South Wales. The popular places like Surfers Paradise, Coolangatta and Byron Bay being the main destinations accessed from Gold Coast Airport. Brisbane and Noosa a bit further North are also within the distance from the airport. The airport was formally known as Coolangatta airport.
For anyone that has travelled through Helsinki Vaanta airport, there is a huge similarity. Gold Coast arrivals/departures terminal is all glass facing the runways and all shops and facilities on the building side with seating in between. As I said easy to navigate. The great thing is if you love planes you can sit enjoy a drink or some food and watch the planes land and take off while waiting for your flight.
Gold Coast Airport is located in a unique position with the Queensland and New South Wales state border cutting straight through its runway
The Gold Coast airport is a single story building. The departures arrivals terminal has 6 gates. Boarding and departing are done directly onto the tarmac via mobile stairs that are wheeled over to the plane.
Gold Coast Airport Shops
Shopping at the Gold Coast airport is confined to around a dozen shops. You will find a range of fashion, electronics, sim cards and souvenirs for you to buy at the airport.
- The Gold Coast store
Sells all things souvenirs and items to take on the plane like magazines, books, sim and snacks. A range of sim cards for your visit are available.
- Victorias Secret All things needed to look and smell good after dark and underneath your clothes.
- Tech 2 Go
Sells chargers, headphones, sim cards, phones and accessories. All things to keep you connected on the Gold Coast
- Seed Clothing
Ladies fashion from clothing, shoes and handbags
- Surf Dive and Ski
Get your beach gear and fashions here.
- Sunglasses Hut
Large range of designer sunglasses. The Aussie sun is strong and bright. Sunglasses are recommended.
- Mac Cosmetics
- Rolling Luggage
Suitcases both small and large, travel accessories such as neck pillows and computer bags
Foreign currency conversions.
Gold Coast Airport Food
You will find enough stores/food outlets inside the terminal for your shopping and eating needs. Pick up a bite to eat something read or buy that Australian souvenir for memories. The Gold Coast Airport food offerings range from Healthy sandwiches and salads to snacks and take away such as Hungary Jacks.
- Sumo salad
- Red Rooster
- Nrg natural refreshing good
Choice of salads, sandwiches, juices etc
- Hungry Jacks (Burger King)
A range of burgers and breakfast items such as muffins and hash browns.
- Velocity espresso bar
- Noodle box
Asian food varieties
- Black stone cafe and bar
- Aromas bar beer wine and spirits
Flying time to the Gold Coast from Australian Capital Cities. The Gold Coast Airport goes by the code OOL.
- Sydney to Gold Coast flight time – 1 hour 21 Minutes
- Melbourne to Gold Coast flight time – 2 Hours 10 Minutes
- Hobart to Gold Coast flight time – 2 Hours 40 Minutes
- Adelaide to Gold Coast flight time – 2 Hours 30 Minutes
- Perth to Gold Coast flight time – 5 Hours 1 Minute
- Darwin to Gold Coast flight time – 4 Hours 7 Minutes
Gold Coast Airport Airline Lounges
Both Qantas and Virgin Australia have lounges at the airport. The Qantas Club lounge has a Family Zone that offers Macs, Sony PlayStation and Hinkler Books. Both lounges offer a range of food and drinks with a barista on site with comfortable lounges and chairs to relax or work at while waiting for your flight.
Where did we stay on the Gold Coast
We stayed at the Seacrest Apartments in Surfers Paradise. Every day we enjoyed a view of the Gold Coast beaches from our balcony. The beach was 100 meters away. The apartments were fully self-contained with cooking and laundry facilities. Wifi, air conditioning and comfortable furniture. An indoor and outdoor pool, tennis court, sauna and a bbq area for use. We highly recommend the Seacrest apartments.
For the latest prices and information click to see →the Seacrest← here
Toilets / Bathroom facilities at OOL Airport
The terminals at Gold Coast Airport contain bathroom facilities at either end of the building. Near the terminal exit, you will find men, ladies, disabled and infant change rooms. At the other, near international departures, you will find men’s, ladies and disabled toilets.
Kids at the Airport
There are no real facilities for children at the terminal, no play equipment or family rooms to play in. The wifi is free so bring a tablet or laptop that the kids can watch movies on while waiting for your departure from Gold Coast Airport.
How to get from Gold Coast Airport to City Centres
Located at the airport is a ticket booth for the Gold coast Sky Bus. The Sky Bus drops off at over 400 hotels helping you get from the airport to the city centres of the Gold Coast. Sky Bus has no excess baggage charges and has frequent departures with free wifi on board. You can book and discover more about the Gold Coast Sky Bus on their website
Sky Bus also runs has a combined ticket for airport transfers and visits to the Gold Coast Theme Parks including Movie World, Dream World and Wet n Wild
Car Hire Gold Coast Airport
Car hire Gold Coast airport is waiting for you. Being such a compact area the Rental desks for car hire for the major players like Budget, Europa Car, and Avis etc is located straight outside the arrivals/departures hall. The car park where to drive the car away from is located no more than 100 meters away from the car rental desks. You can be in the car and moving along the Gold Coast highway within 5 minutes of getting your keys. RentalCars.com can have a car waiting and ready to go for you at the Gold Coast International Airport
Gold Coast International Airport Parking
There are 3 areas for airport parking Gold Coast. The 3 areas have over 2000 parking spaces. This helps you park closer to the terminal for a smooth and fast start or finish to your trip. Gold Coast Airport parking comes in choices for all budgets from undercover to budget outside parking. A quick search as of March 2018 shows these options and prices for a week’s worth of parking at Gold Coast Airport
- Premium Covered Parking closest to the airport $273.00 – 1-minute walk to the terminal
- Terminal Long Term Parking closest to the airport $162 – 2-minute walk to the terminal
- Budget Covered Parking $125.10 4-8 minutes walk to the terminal
- Budget uncovered parking $93.00 5-15 minutes walk to the terminal.
How to get to The Gold Coast
- The Gold Coast Airport is located in Coolangatta. The Gold Coast Airport is 27 km from Surfers Paradise and 68.9 km from Byron Bay. 6 million people travelled through Gold Coast Airport airport in 2016 making it the 6th busiest in Australia
- The main carriers at Gold Coast Airport are Jetstar, Virgin Australia and Tiger Airways
- For cheap flights to Gold Coast Australia, you can check the prices of international and domestic flights to the Gold Coast with cheapOair.
- You can your book a Gold Coast airport transfers with Suntransfers who we have personally used on many occasions.
- You can reserve a rental car and have it waiting for you at The Gold Coast International Airport.
Getting around The Gold Coast
- The new light rail system operates in the Surfers Paradise / Southport area from 5 am to midnight on weekdays and throughout weekends. The route links Helensvale, Gold Coast University Hospital, Southport, Main Beach, Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach.
- Buses service the urban areas of Gold Coast City. The network stretches south to Coolangatta, west to Nerang, and north to the developing areas of Coomera and Ormeau.
- The TransLink Journey Planner will help you to plan your trip and provides fare and timetable information
Where to stay on the Gold Coast
- The Gold Coast has accommodation options for every budget from Hostels, to apartments and hotels rooms.
- You can search Airbnb for there Gold Coast City offerings. If you have never used Airbnb before get yourself $50 credit by signing up and booking a stay right HERE
- Hotels on The Gold Coast generally start from around $296 a night for a double room 3star and increase incrementally as the luxury rating rises towards the 5-star average price of $395.00.
- You can compare and book your stay on Agoda and Expedia