We recently visited Sovereign Hill in Ballarat Australia. Sovereign Hill is the most popular of Ballarat attractions. Sovereign Hill Ballarat is also one of Victoria’s top attractions.
Most people visiting Sovereign Hill stay in Ballarat for a few nights. There are many things to do in Ballarat for you to enjoy during your stay.
Finding Ballarat accommodation within close vicinity to Sovereign Hill is quite easy. We are about to make it easier by reviewing 3 Ballarat hotels in easy walking distance to Sovereign Hill.
We have family accommodation Ballarat covered for you. The only thing now is to grab your Sovereign Hill tickets and off you go. We will show you later where to get your Sovereign Hill Tickets.
Ballarat family accommodation near Sovereign Hill
Main Road Ballarat ( Don’t be surprised if it says Golden Circle instead of Ballarat ) lies next to Sovereign Hill. This means accommodation on this street provides the easiest access to Sovereign Hill for families.
As far as accommodation near Sovereign Hill goes Main Road is the best choice for families. Main Road Ballarat is within easy walking distance to Sovereign Hill. This takes out the hassle of how to get to Sovereign Hill. Takes out the hassle of getting a car park.
Let us take a look at Ballarat Motels and Hotels for you.
Location: 613 Main Road, Ballarat, Victoria 3350 Australia
Mercure Hotel Ballarat has 88 comfy, guest rooms. The hotel is a single story establishment with all rooms having easy access. For families and larger groups, there are 9 self-contained two-storey apartments at Mercure Ballarat. These apartments come in one or two bedroom configuration. This provides great options for family accommodation Ballarat options.
Mercure Ballarat facilities:
- Day Spa
- Swimming Pool
- Jogging Track
- Billy’s Bar and Restaurant
- Baby Sitting Service for Family Travel
- Air Conditioned rooms
- Free WiFi
Family Rooms at Mercure Ballarat:
- Two story two bedroom apartment overlooking a courtyard garden. You will find tables and chairs and room for the kids in the Court Yard. \ Downstairs a fully equipped kitchen, spacious lounge, with Tv, Stereo and a dining area. Two bedrooms upstairs, master with king bed, second with two singles. You will find a washing machine and dryer for use. Full-size bathroom with complimentary soaps and shampoos.
- Room consists of one King and one Single Bed for 3 guests. Fresh decor and furnishings for a relaxing stay, and set in landscaped natural gardens.
For Latest Prices and Bookings at Mercure Ballarat ⇒ Click Here ⇐
Best Western Ballarat
Location: 525 Main Rd, Golden Point VIC 3350
The Best Western Ballarat is located just a few doors up from Mercure Ballarat. It’s a four and a half star Hotel for singles, couples and families. The Best Western Ballarat has 26 rooms, made up of 14 King Spa Suites and 12 King Executive Suites. .
Best Western Facilities
- Air Conditioning
- Free WiFi
- Onsite Car Parking
Family Accommodation Ballarat Best Western
- Family Interconnection Suite
- The Interconnecting family accommodation has 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms and can be set for king size beds or single beds. The 5th & 6th guest will be able to relax on a King single rollaway bed.
For the Latest Prices and Booking at Best Western Ballarat ⇒ Click Here ⇐
Big 4 Ballarat Gold Fields
Location: 108 Clayton Street, Ballarat, Victoria, 3350
Big 4 Ballarat is located just meters off Main Road Ballarat. This Ballarat Caravan Park is packed full of facilities for families visiting Ballarat. Those with a budget looking for affordable accommodation in Ballarat will find Big 4 a great choice. Big 4 Ballarat will provide a cheaper option than the Ballarat Hotels listed above. Big 4 might be the best family accommodation Ballarat for kids activities onsite.
Facilities at Big 4 Ballarat:
- Solar Heated Swimming Pool
- Jumping Pillow
- Giant Checkers
- Go Carts
- Half Court Tennis
- Indoor heated Spa
- Games Room
- Adventure Playground
- Tiny Tots Indoor Playground
- Kids Club
- Camp Kitchen
Family accommodation at Big 4 Ballarat:
- 3 Bedroom 8 person villa.
- 3 Bedroom 7 person villa
- 3 Bedroom 7 person deluxe double story villa
- 2 Bedroom 4 person Spa Cottage
- 2 Bedroom 4 person Miners Cottage
- 2 Bedroom 6 person Miners cottage
- 2 bedroom 4 people accessible family villa with ramps for wheelchairs and mobility frames.
the Latest Prices and Bookings at Big 4 Ballarat ⇒ Click Here ⇐
All the above accommodation is near Sovereign Hill Ballarat. We believe the accommodation we have listed will make it easy to access Ballarat tourist attractions.
Tips for Sovereign Hill with Kids
Bring comfortable shoes, Sovereign Hill Ballarat is a big day of walking
Go to the lolly shop in the main street for old fashioned treats
If you want to save some money pack some food. There is plenty of seating around the park
Pack some spare clothes for the kids if you want to try panning for gold, There is water involved
There is more expense than just entry, Horse and cart rides , Mine tours all cost extra
Winter is a great time to visit Sovereign Hill with Kids with the Winter Wonderlights in July
Now let us turn our attention to Sovereign Hill Tickets. The Sovereign Hill tickets listed below are both for entry from your Sovereign Hill accommodation or by a Sovereign Hill tour from Melbourne. If you cant stay in Ballarat an organized Sovereign Hill Tour from Melbourne is quite doable in a day with Ballarat being only an hour or so away.
Places to eat around Main Road Ballarat
- Pizza Hut – International Pizza Chain
- Inn of Khone – Asian Restaurants
- Zigames Ballarat – Modern Australian Cuisine pub style
[box] Special mention – Carboni’s Italian Kitchen Carboni’s is a little further away 1.8 km to be exact from Sovereign Hill. Carboni’s Italian Kitchen has an amazing menu focusing on traditional Italian meals. The staff are welcoming and friendly. The interior is relaxed and family friendly with a kids room
How to get to Sovereign Hill from Melbourne:
From Melbourne take the Western Highway off the Western Ring Road. Follow the Western Highway for 88km before exiting on the Ballarat Exit. Follow the Ballarat-Burrumbeet Rd onto Victoria street for 6.4 kilometres. Follow the signs turning at Princess street then left onto Main Road. Follow Main Road until you find your Ballarat Hotel or Ballarat Big 4 on your left.
Facts about Ballarat:
- Ballarat is the 3rd largest inland city in Australia
- Ballarat has a population of over 100,000
- The average temperature in July ( Winter ) is 10 degrees
- The average Temperature in January ( Summer ) is 25 degrees
- The worlds second biggest Gold nugget was found in Ballarat.
Ballarat Tourist Attractions
Ballarat is way more than just Sovereign Hill. Ballarat is bursting at the seams with things to see and do for the whole family. From wildlife to history and parks and gardens all await you when visiting Ballarat. We think your visit to Ballarat with kids could also the include the following attractions:
- Ballarat Wildlife Park
- The Eureka Museum ( just to play on the fort is very cool )
- Kryal Castle ( The home of all things Medieval in Australia )
- The Gold Museum
- Lake Wendouree
- Ballarat Tram Museum
- Ballarat Aviation Museum.
We loved our time visiting Ballarat. It had great attractions and accommodation for family travel weekends and longer stays. We hope this article helped with things to do in Ballarat and where to stay in Ballarat.
We stress enough how convenient it is to stay at a hotel near Sovereign Hill. You can go to Sovereign Hill in the morning come home for a few hours rest and food and then head back its that simple.
We hope you enjoyed this article from Wyld Family Travel. Please find 2 more articles on below for your reading enjoyment. Just click the description to read.
About the Author
Mark Wyld is a father, husband, traveler, and chief destination marketing manager at Wyld Family Travel. Having been to over 35 countries worldwide he knows a thing or 2 about traveling with kids and now traveling with teenagers. He has been writing first-hand, expert travel guides on this website for over 6 years and has featured on numerous other popular well-known websites. When he is not talking, dreaming, or planning travel he can be found working in disability support.