Mekong, Whisky Villages, Communism
Laos is a Southeast Asian country traversed by the Mekong River and known for mountainous terrain, French colonial architecture, hill tribe settlements and Buddhist monasteries. Vientiane, the capital, is the site of the That Luang monument, where a reliquary reportedly houses the Buddha’s breastbone, plus the Patuxai war memorial and Talat Sao (Morning Market), a complex jammed with food, clothes and craft stalls. See Laos with help from Wyld Family Travel’s detailed Laos travel guides.
The country is in the midst of building a high-speed train line that will stretch to China. Most public transport is done by bus and tuk-tuk where you can negotiate a price. The conditions of the road in Laos is not great so be careful if driving a car. Laotians drive on the right-hand side of the road.
There is no shortage of small restaurants and roadside food traders. You will only find western food chains in the capital of Vientianne. A meal at a mid-priced restaurant should cost around $10.40 USD per person while coffee will set you back $2.34 and a loaf of bread $1.94
The official currency of Laos the Kip. The Kip comes in notes of 500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 10,000, 20,000, 50,000, 100,000 kip. Be aware that you may not be able to exchange Laos Kip once outside the country. We suggest using a Wise card to cut down on high international withdrawal fees.
You will find plenty of accommodation options in the tourist centers of Laos. Everything for hotels to homestays will have you comfortable for your vacation. You will easily find accommodation for $30 a night upwards in a good quality hotel.
- La Seine by Burasari Vientiane LaosMany people dream of waking up on the banks of the mighty Mekong river and at the La Seine by Burasari Vientiane you can do just that. We had an amazing 3-night stay in their Vientiane hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. It is a large spacious, boutique hotel with excellent staff. The position … Read the full article here
- Things to do in Luang Prabang with teenagersYou will find many things to do with teenagers in Luang Prabang. Visiting Luang Prabang with teenagers can be a great place with many outdoor options to keep them entertained. You and your teenagers will have some great experiences in this UNESCO world heritage town. Luang Prabang is located on the Mekong River in Northern … Read the full article here
- Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel Luang PrabangJust one block back from the mighty Mekong River you will find a tiny piece of heaven called Lotus Villa Boutique Hotel Luang Prabang. With an old colonial building hiding a gorgeous internal tropical courtyard your stay here will be both relaxing and absolutely divine. We were dropped off right out the front of Lotus … Read the full article here
- Ocean Park Vientiane LaosHmmm, where does one start with Ocean Park Vientiane Laos? Is it one of the best things to do with kids in Vientiane? Is it even one of the best things to do in Vientiane? We were looking for some top things to do in Vientiane in the heat and Ocean Park kept coming up. … Read the full article here
- Dinner at The Terrace Luang PrabangFinding a place to have a nice dinner while travelling can be really hard especially with a very fussy child. We were asked to have dinner at the lovely The Terrace restaurant while we were staying in Luang Prabang. We eagerly said yes and hoped we would find something that Marley would eat. The Terrace … Read the full article here